Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      JonOfWilts
      Participant

A thread to cover the Green New Deal, the drive to Net-Zero carbon [dioxide], global warming and climate change. I believe this topic will become more prominent in the next few years as Joe Public begins to realise what this is going to cost, what changes it will mean to our lifestyle and whether the fundamental “science” is valid or not.

JonOfWilts
      Participant

The BBC reported yesterday in its news item entitled “Move to net zero ‘inevitably means more mining'” that “Replacing the estimated 1.4 billion internal combustion engine vehicles worldwide would need 40 times these quantities [metals for batteries including rare earths], and that’s before the metal and mineral requirements of all the wind turbines and solar farms are considered.” Even worse, the West has a huge dependency on China for rare earth metals.
      “Green New Deal” ? More like “Dirty New Deal” ?

Beleraphon44
      Participant

This is the new Ponzi scheme and the sooner people realise it the better, CO2 in the atmosphere is 0.4% , Human activities amount to 32% of this, only this week a news story stated that solar waves were discovered to be significantly hotter when they reach the Earth than previously thought. A few people are set to make a lot of money from this con.

JonOfWilts
      Participant

The percentage CO2 in the atmosphere is less than 0.4%, its 0.04%. An increase from I think 0.03% since the start of industrialization.

aslew1
      Participant

I think it all the wokies agreed not to talk rubbish, C02 emissions would fall to net zero very quickly

Peter
      Participant

One thing that I can’t work out is how we’ll get the electricity to our homes. We’ll all have heat pumps, electric cars and electric cookers.

Most homes only have 100Amp fuses (some are even smaller), so I would imagine people will need new cables run to their houses. Then all of the other infrastructure will need upgrading, which could be an even bigger job. Will they need to build additional pylons and substations etc.?

Will flats and listed buildings be able to have heat pumps etc.?

Also, what happens with all of the R&D people have done on hydrogen boilers? They may not include hydrogen when they say ‘gas’ but most hydrogen is currently made from methane. Surely it would make sense to move to hydrogen first as we already have the infrastructure and the tech?

JonOfWilts
      Participant

“Swiss voters reject key climate change measures”
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57457384
      This story is huge. As the Green New Deal policies begin to bite in the years ahead and voters begin to realise the true costs involved and the impact on their living standards – political parties that reject the Green New Deal will become much more attractive. Combined with a growing suspicion that the funding of science (research grants, science publishing houses, peer review system etc) may be having an undue influence on Climate science – people will wonder if this looming “Climate Catastrophe” is in fact real or not. Scientists have had consensus on many issues and been totally wrong (the Universe is infinite and has always existed, DNA that does not code for proteins is Junk DNA and more recently Sars-CoV-2 came from a Wuhan wet market).

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.