Nearly 600 migrants have been intercepted attempting to cross the English Channel as the Home Secretary reaffirmed her “unwavering determination to stop the journeys.”
Yesterday, a total of 378 migrants were detained by the UK authorities in 12 incidents, with 178 others being stopped from reaching the UK by the French in five further incidents.
Earlier this week, the number of people who had successfully made it to Britain reached 8,452. That exceeded the figure for the whole of 2020 when 8,417 people made the trip.
More than 700 people succeeded in crossing the Channel on Monday and Tuesday, with many landing at Dungeness in Kent. Border Force vessels and French warships were active on Wednesday, with dozens more people brought into port. Another 37 people were intercepted on Friday by the UK authorities while French officials stopped another 67.
A Home Office spokesman said:
“Border Force is currently dealing with ongoing small boat incidents off the Kent coast. Further details will be provided after the initial response and once the situation has been resolved.
It was only Tuesday last week that Priti Patel announced an agreement to more than double the number of police patrolling French beaches, with the British government paying France £54million. In a statement issued yesterday the Home Secretary said:
“The British public should be in no doubt of our unwavering determination to stop these dangerous crossings from safe EU countries and take down the evil criminal gangs behind them. We are utilising all aspects of government to tackle this issue and our significant actions are having an impact.”